Rock the Lobster: actually a saying in Nova Scotia



Since I had already worked in Western and Central Canada, I was itching to go out East. Why? I really dont know. Probably because it was as far as I could get without crossing an international border, and because it was near the water. And, well..



                           why not?
The view! Minutes away from the farm.
Here is The New Minas Basin, which is opens
into the Bay of Fundy, directly connecting
 to the Atlantic Ocean.
I figured, Im young, Im healthy- nothing here is holding me back. I did not hesitate at all and once I had decided that I wanted to go to Nova Scotia, (and eat all the seafood I could get my hands on, while resting on the beaches of an Atlantic Maritime province) I was determined to find work there! More money, more travel is sometimes the case, so I knew I needed to make some money while I was there to maximize my exploration while there.

 I was offered work at an organic farm in Grand Pre, in Annapolis Valley along the Bay of Fundy (wine region and agriculture region of N.S.) I was hired as a Farm Hand, who would; harvest root vegetables, herbs, and thousands of pumpkins at Halloween time, as well as help make and package tofu, and run a Tofu stand at the Halifax and Wolfville farmers markets. The Halifax market was HUGE.  It is at the Old Alexander Keiths brewery down by the docks. I heard its the largest market in Canada, and I believe it. Its pretty much delicious labyrinth. And the Wolfville market...Lets just say, its close to my heart!!

 I highly recommend Richard Hennigars Suprima Organic Apple Juice! He minimizes gasoline dependance, and has organic Grass Benders. Thats right, grass benders! I harvested apples for Richard for the summer and the next summer I did some grass bending. But its not for the faint at heart. :)

Below is a pretty hilarious, while very informative video clip of what part of our job was while working at Suprimas Organic Apple Orchard. Here is a coworker Rick, a Nova Scotia native and Richard Hennigar, the owner of Suprima explaining what it is, and the benefits of organic grass bending. Some clips from the Wolfville market too.







Wolfville was a good biking distance from Grand Pre, about10 km, and was full of students my age since it is the Home of Acadia University. I was also able to meet some people from the Katimavik program too.They came to internship for a few weeks on the same farm I was at,and we had some good laughs!
I also worked with some foreign woofers, (Willing Workers on Organic Farms) from France, Belgium, Germany, California, and Japan. THAT was so much fun in itself.

 One of my favourite memories has to be going into Wolfville on foot one time, our way lit by a full moon. We met up with some local university students our age down by the harbour, had a bon fire and ended up singing Bob Marley in unison by the end of the night. Or rolling down grassy hills after having a few drinks! haha and walking to see the full moon at the harbour..all good times.

Full moon, low tide. Wolfville Harbour Mudflats






  
All in all, Nova Scotia, whether youre in Annapolis Valley, or Cape Breton Island..it really is a magical place. Some say its all the amethyst there that creates this relaxed and happy energy, but who knows.
While I was there, I had some of the best seafood in the world, and met what Im sure are the friendliest, and most genuine people Ive ever met. AND the ultimate goal, I learned A LOT about all sorts of farming! From working on this organic tofu farm, to Richards organic apple orchard, to a local winery- I tried it all...and I loved it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment