This is Pang Term, Thailand

frommynotebook;
"I look at the travel alarm clock and see that it is Thursday.
 It is 3:58 p.m, the temperature is 30.5 degrees Celcius.
I am laying in my tent, under a large jungle hut made of clay and straw.
The roof is made from bamboo and large dried leaves.
A large red and black ant crawls across my screen door.
Beyond it I can see a mountain, and beyond that only a
 forest of tropical greenery. Out the door of the tent,
and a few steps away is a path lined with well-spaced mudhuts.
The path leads down to the meditation platform overlooking the valley.
A few steps later are the squat toilets, then the outdoor
kitchen and dining area, and then the farm fields, which stretch down
towards the river.  This is where I am organically farming.
After you cross this river you will find the small village of Pang Term.~

I look up. I see the leaf roof that towers above me- it has seen better days.
The clear blazing blue sky is peaking through,
but I am mostly sheltered in the shade.
I am listening to Silver Jet by The Tragically Hip.
It is pulsing from my laptop, which I have used today for the first time in
awhile, since there is little to no internet access here.
A laptop sometimes feels like an old friend here. 
It can bring all sorts of comforting luxuries, like music,
or reminders of home but its deemed quite useless here most of the time
 in the rural mountains of Thailand. Still I am grateful to have it now
 so that I canlisten to Canadian music- its been so long!~

From time to time I hear thrashing in the forest,
and sometimes mysterious footstep sounds. I hear it now.
I try not to think about it too much, I will admit I am nervous
to think about what this creature could be. Ignorance is bliss.
I also hear an array of birds which I am beginning to recognize since
 they have replaced my conventional wake-up alarm.
One of the birds sounds like it is constantly saying "Pa-pa, Pa-pa".~

feel the warm wind shift , flowing over my tent
and causing my misquito net to ripple in the breeze.
I feel at home here.~

I smell only nature around me and the Thai short-bread
that I am eating. A new volunteer has brought some from
the nearest village, Samoeng.~

I taste sweetness and black sesame seeds! Yum..
Now some cool ginger water to wash it all down.
This is Pang Term, Thailand. "

No comments:

Post a Comment