Volunteering on a Thai Farm: Breakfast & The 5 Contemplations


When I was in Canada looking for an opportunity to do something meaningful in Thailand, I naturally started to pursue agriculturally-driven projects. But I didn't want to go to just any farm- I wanted to learn as much as possible- about farming, meditation, how to build a mud-house. I had a bucket-list going on. I started looking for farming opportunities where I could build a mudhouse, and within a community living in a meditation sangha-style.
Eventually, when I found this farm, which is organic and is a place of meditation. I wrote an email immediately and received a response within a few days telling me that there was an opportunity to learn about earthen building and the offer was there. They said to come out to and work on the farm in exchange for learning about building earthern homes, meditation, and Thai cooking, so I did. Something I really like is that each morning the volunteers and the farmer all gather outside after walking meditation, for a modest but fulfilling breakfast, sitting at a few makeshift tables among the bales of straw and bamboo. He reads "The Five Contemplations" every morning before eating. 

1.This food is a gift of the earth, the sky, numerous living beings and much hard work.
2. May we eat with mindfulness & gratitude so as to be worthy to receive it.
3. May we encourage & transform our unwholesome mental formations,especially our greed and learn to eat with moderation.
4. May we keep our compassion alive by eating in such a way that we reduce the suffering of living beings, preserve our planet & reverse the process of global warming.
5. We accept this food, so that we may nurture our sisterhood & brotherhood, strengthen our sangha and nourish our ideal of serving all beings.

Pumpkin Soup


Our Thai Porridge; Rice with coconut milk,
 honey, banana and papaya


 ISNT THAT YOD YIAM?!
                           (awesome)

No comments:

Post a Comment