A Forgotten Post: Self-Transformation Through Self-Observation

This is a post I forgot to post! I wrote it before arriving in Thailand, and figure I should post it because now I HAVE UPDATES! Well, here it is:

I have been accepted to the 10- day
Vipassana Meditation Course in Thailand!

It is one of my goals while on this Thailand trip to further explore myself, my limits, and also meditation. It could be said that I am on some kind of a "spirit quest". After much research and deliberation I decided my interest was in the Vipassana Technique. I did some course- comparing, and applied to the course that best suited me. I wanted something that was not religiously affiliated, and in a safe area of Thailand. I liked the details and location of this course, and the best part: the course is free.This includes your accommodation AND food (vegetarian of course) for 10 days.

All courses are run solely on donations made by graduates of the Vipassana courses. After you have completed the entire course( and ONLY after) the temple will accept a donation from you to fund a newcomers 10 days. I thought this "pay-it-forward" kinda temple suited me just fine.

 filled out a few-page questionaire where you are asked about your experience with meditation, your medical history, if you have any addictions etc. It was pretty simple and I finished it within 15 minutes. Within a few days I received an acceptance letter via e-mail with details on directions to the temple, what to wear, the code of discipline etc.   
The Global Vipassana Pagoda

You eat what the center gives you, you are not permitted to leaves the center's grounds, you must follow the code of discipline and Noble Silence, you have limited sleep and you must meditate for most of the day. But the teachers there are impressive, and I am so intrigued by their knowledge and way of life! The chance to learn about meditation and live in Noble Silence while in Thailand is a chance that comes once in a lifetime--so why not? I am so pumped for this experience but after reading the information provided by the center, I am sure of one thing only. This experience will not be easy. It will be no week at a resort, thats for sure, but I know I will challenge myself, and that I will learn a lot. Thats whats important!

No comments:

Post a Comment